Monday 8 October 2012

Manic Monday? No. A chaotic week!

I can barely believe I'm saying this on a Monday, but...what a week!

Obviously, I'm a day behind.  This blog entry was written yesterday, in my head, but I didn't have the energy to get my fingers tap-tapping away at the keyboard to tell you all what I've been up to.

Every week has a different aim at the moment, and last Monday was certainly no different: 1) make it back to Yorkshire in one piece, minus the Cornish lurgy that my family seem to be kindly circulating among themselves and 2) to prepare for my very first show in Huddersfield.

The means of transport from my hometown to my home - a mere 380 miles apart - in a state of the art National Express coach, complete with on-coach toilet and working plug sockets.  A somewhat last minute decision to not sleep prior to the 4am journey meant that I sporadically slept most of the 15hr trip despite 2 changes, several howling children and a handful of irritable co-passengers.

The act of travelling between Cornwall and Yorkshire is a frequent one for me.  I do it more often than I care to mention and often enough for my dad to warmly joke that my efforts to move out have never fully materialised.  I have a lifestyle based on a Noah's arch premise: possess two of all essentials so I can travel super light.

But, the concept of travelling super light is one that only works for part of the journey.  I always end up packing my case full of useless bits useful props or books that I might need.  The journey home is always a heavier one.

A dark, cold and damp Huddersfield welcomed me along with the greeting of a someone special and two portions of fish and chips to compensate for the rancid weather.  However, no matter how many times I travel between the 2 counties, I end up with a weird cold, sore throat and general grogginess so I spent the next couple of days preparing the new set list for the weekend show.

Almost half of the show consisted of new songs so from Thursday evening through Saturday afternoon I was singing hard to tweak notes and lyrics in time for the evening....

...and oh my.  What an evening it was!

The Junction is a fantastic pub to debut my new show in Huddersfield.  It's so warm and inviting, has fantastic landlords and a great crowd to entertain, so a little bit of everything went down really well!  But more about that tomorrow, since I started writing this at midday on Monday and almost 12hrs later I'm still rambling...and I don't want to have to retype the first couple of paragraphs!  



No comments:

Post a Comment